Friday, April 13, 2012

Snow White's Cottage

snow white princess fort

It's been a while since I have been able to make anything.  I have been on Spring Break this week, so I decided to jump back into the crafting world with something big.  My daughter has been in full-on princess mode for quite some time now.  She especially likes Snow White.

princess fort snow white cottage
I decided to make a fort for her.  When I was a kid, I used my parents' couch and some blankets to make a yellow submarine.  I think nostalgia got the best of me.  This creation was as much for me as it was for her. :)

The cottage is made out of felt.  It comes complete with a bucket of apples and woodland creatures.  It fits over our dining room table, almost like a slip cover.  I think this is my most ambitious project to date.

Please allow Snow White herself to give you a brief tour:

The front door.

The left side has some climbing ivy and a couple of bunnies.  (I am noticing now that I forgot to sew on one of the leaves.  Oh well, tomorrow I guess.)

snow white woodland creatures fort
 A close-up of the bunnies.

 The back wall.

The turtle up close.
His nose is a bit more yellow that in the movie, 
but I had to work with what I had.

princess fort snow white woodland creatures
 Just around the corner is a bird and a window.

Here's the bird close-up. 
She's also not exactly the same color as the birds in the movie.  
Again, I used what I had :)

fort princess snow white cottage woodland creatures
The window box is one of my favorite parts.  
I hand sewed the flowers on with buttons in their centers.

Of course Snow White's cottage would not be complete without a bucket of apples.  These apples are all removable and stuffed.

princess fort snow white cottage
 The apples are Snow White's favorite part too. I didn't even have to trick her into eating them.

Afterwards she promptly fell asleep.
I need to try this trick at bed time!

Coming soon I will post details on how I built the cottage
(or college, as she likes to call it).  
For now, I will be joining Snow White in slumber.   

Edited to add:
The tutorial is HERE


  1. This is SO cute! I love that the apples come out!!

  2. Oh my is that cute. A lot of work though. I bet she will have so much fun in it.

    1. Thanks Veronica. Yes, it was quite a bit of work. But I had a couple of days to myself. So, all in all, I think it was about 2-3 days. She LOVES it :)

  3. amazing amazing amazing and beautifully fabulous

    1. Thank you so much! I'm glad you stopped by :)

  4. Wow, that is wonderful!! I know my daughter would love it! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

    1. Just want to let you know I will be featuring you tomorrow at Sharing Saturday!

    2. Wow! I am so flattered! Thanks :)


I love comments. Please feel free to post :)