Monday, May 28, 2012

A New Shirt From an Old Skirt

upcycle-shirt-diy
Do you ever look in your closet and think "I have NOTHING to wear!!"  Well, that happens to me.  All. The. Time.  And since I'm broke, I try to change the old things into new things.  This shirt, for example, went from being a skirt that I NEVER wear, to a fun summer top... In FIVE minutes!


Here is the skirt I started with.  It's a stretchy knit.  It looks innocent enough, but the waistband (which is SUPPOSED to fold over) always manages to unfold itself throughout the day, adding an additional few inches to my waist.  Who wants that?  Not me.

I have known that I wanted to make this into a shirt for a few days now.  But I was unsure how I wanted to fashion the top.  Finally I saw this black sash peeking out of a mysterious pile in my closet.  It used to be a waistband to an old maternity top.  It matched, and it was already sewn, and so... I was sold.


The waistband of the skirt became the bottom of my shirt.  First, I tried it on upside-down and gathered it up in the front so that I could see how much fabric I would need to gather in the front in order to give me enough modesty in the back.

Speaking of modesty... yes that is me standing in my yard with a skirt on my top being help into place.  Sorry neighbors... husband (photographer) was outside when I needed this shot.

Next I put a safety pin where my hand was holding it up.  Using that place marker as a guide, I folded down, to create a small casing in the front.  I pinned that casing down before sewing it shut.


My apologies for the picture quality.  I think I already mentioned my photographer was outside at the time.  All I had to do next was pull my sash through the casing and VIOLA!   Instant shirt!

Seriously.  Five.  Minutes.  :)

mandy chambers upcycle

mandy chambers





Visit thecsiproject.com

19 comments:

  1. You should start a business reworking people's wardrobes! You have such vision!!!

    -Sami's mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorites! I really like the drape of the skirt shirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!
      I think this is my favorite so far, too :)

      Delete
  3. that is really cute - you are so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clever, stylish and saving then environment at the same time, could it be any better? Think not! :)))

    Thanks for visiting me :)

    Siv xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so stinkin' cute! I need to go sift through my old skirts!

    Take care,

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great recycle use!!! Very unique style too...love it!! Stopping by from Keeping It Simple linky party and your newest follower. This is what I shared: http://craftybrooklynarmywife.blogspot.ca/2012/06/kids-roll-up-nap-blanket.html

    When you have a moment, come on by my blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Admittedly, I am biased but this could easily be my favorite project to date. Each time I think that, you seem to raise the bar. Just let me know when the dining room will officially be remodeled. I have already dubbed the room "Project 51". :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is wonderful. Great job, and great blog! Thanks for all the supportive comments on my recent skirts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I am a huge fan of anything that involves recycling,thanks!
    www.blissfulsewing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. In-cred-i-ble! I love the whole re-modeling thing. We have so much "stuff" around us already, why not put it to a better use! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is fantastic! I would love to feature this on Reduce, Reuse, Upcycle. Feel free to stop by and grab a featured button. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I am so flattered. Thank you :)

      Delete
  12. So cute! I'll be on the lookout for knit skirts the next time I go to the thrift store! (visiting from the CSI Project and a new follower)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Please feel free to post :)