Saturday, June 9, 2012

I Can Sew You the World... or At Least I Can Sew You Jasmine's Pants




I was very excited when Little BB asked me to make her some 'Jasmine Pants.'  After all, Jasmine is my favorite princess...  And Aladdin is (ahem) most definitely my most favorite prince... sigh...

Anywhoo...  We are planning to take BB to a performance of Aladdin next week so I thought it was high time for me to churn this costume out.


This costume was pretty fun to make.  I'll admit, I was a bit intimidated by making pants.  They are much less forgiving than skirts are (on all kinds of levels).  But I was feeling brave.
I bought a pair of teal leggings as a base.  I cut them off just below the crotch to make little shorts.  I attached the legs of the pants to them so that I wouldn't have to make my own waistband.

I also cut off the ankles of the leggings and sewed the bottoms of the pant legs to them to give them that "lumpy" look, as BB likes to call it.  I personally prefer the term poufy.

make a jasmine costumeThe legs are made of two layers.  The bottom layer is taffeta and the top is a sparkly tulle.  It has little silver sparkles attached to it.  I finished it off with a golden rhinestone trim that I had laying around.


I used the leftover pieces of the leggings to make a tube top.  Then, I made a center panel out of the tulle/taffeta combo.  I made a sash with the tulle and attached it at various places around the top to create the arms.
make a jasmine costume







Little BB loves her 'lumpy' pants and is very happy dancing around as Jasmine this evening.  Also, for some strange reason my husband now wants me to make him as Aladdin costume!


 
make a jasmine costume


8 comments:

  1. Oh my, do you think I could wear this Its so cute! Awesome! I hope you will link up with me here:
    http://www.thegingerbreadblog.com/2012/06/sweet-saturday-link-party-v42.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I just joined your party :)

      Delete
  2. OMG how stinkin CUUUUUTE!!!!! What a lil doll, so adorable!! (Ahem.. Jasmine and Aladdin are my faves too xD )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I eagerly await photos of the Aladdin project!!!!!

    Please send Disney these photos immediately as the economy could use a boost in employment, no matter what age. You should update this as to how the interaction between players and audience is at the performance. There could be a 4-year old walking away with a new contract in hand.

    Best. Costume. Ever. (so far)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute Jasmine costume! I had one when I was little too, I'm a new follower and would love if you followed me at www.iheartpears.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by. I love your "Happy Thoughts" :)

      Delete

I love comments. Please feel free to post :)