It has been awhile since I have written anything. And it isn't because I didn't want to. It is because I have been working on something big; or, shall we say, lots of little things for one "big" girl. We have finally finished redecorating BB's room.
This was a bittersweet project for me. I was so excited about this whole project. And I was also apprehensive and a little sad to see all the "baby" things get transformed or removed. But she asked us to do it, and she was about as long as her toddler bed anyway.
If you have read some of my older posts, or if you know BB, you may not be surprised at what kind of room she said that she wanted. "Momma, I want purple and pink and princess." So without further ado, here is a peek into her new palace.
First up: this craigslist find became her new princess vanity.
Next we painted the walls a combination of "flutter by butterfly" purple and "enchanted princess" pink. These were colors that she picked out from the Behr Disney line that has now been retired. Luckily they paint folks at Home Depot were happy to re-create them for me.
Just as my husband finished painting the walls, something terrible happened. He spilled a half full can of paint in the room. It was pooled up all over the carpet and splashed on the walls. Needless to say, that delayed my process a little bit.
After the paint fiasco was officially over, it was finally time for me to begin my favorite part. I had been waiting all week to paint the castle on the wall. And it seemed like I had the vision in my head forever.
At first I wanted to project an image of a castle on the wall to use as a guide. I even borrowed an ELMO from school. Unfortunately, I do not own a projector and that is apparently a crucial component when you want to project images onto the wall. Who knew?
So my hubby ran to town to see what he could find. He called me and said that they had a huge castle wall decal. I told him to go ahead and bring it home.
It wasn't exactly the shape I had envisioned, so I rearranged the turrets and created a wider base using blue tape. Then I carefully traced over the edges with the paint.
I removed the decals and tape to reveal a very faint edge of the castle shape. Then, I just carefully painted in the lines.
I added the door shape in the middle with blue tape. I didn't use a guide for that; I just eyeballed it. I also free-handed the flag at the top. This was an admittedly gutsy move as I had already finished the castle and was happy with the shape. Happily, it all worked out :)
I ordered the custom vinyl lettering in a Disney font. I am really pleased with the way that turned out. But my arm is REALLY hurting after putting that on the wall.
The bed frame was a thrift store find. BB says that it's "Ariel's bed" because she thinks the white scrolls look like sea shells. It was in great condition as is and I didn't do any work to it.
Most of the bedding I purchased new. However I did make the dust ruffle. My husband brought some old curtains home from work. I dyed them with RIT dye in my washing machine. The curtains had ties at the top and I encorporated those ties into a design element at the foot of the bed by sewing them together with a large zig-zag stitch in a contrasting color. Then I tied them together.
The canopy is simply a long piece (about 6 yards) of glitter tulle. I found this crown wall hook and thought it would be perfect for that purpose. In case you are wondering, the glitter does shed. But I think life is more fun with glitter :)
The big finale surprise was a collage that I made digitally. The background is filled with positive quotes from our favorite princess movies (and a few other favorites). I used the Disney font for this also. The pink silhouettes were very easy to create from downloadable clip art. I had it printed onto strong foam board.
I inherited this awesome frame from a friend at our neighborhood yard sale. It was a metallic color, so I spray painted it pink. I am really happy with the way this came out also. The print itself is gigantic and the frame has a nice vintage feel to it.
And last but not least I gave her lamp an upgrade as well. I painted her old black floor lamp purple. And, using leftover scraps from the RIT dyed curtains, I glued a ruffle around the top of the lamp shade. I think we need one more lamp in the room, so I ordered a small purple table chandelier. I had been looking everywhere at bargain stores and thrift shops until I finally gave in and ordered retail.
BB loves her new room. She likes to go in there, close the door and have "privaseat." I can hear her spelling out the letters of her name and talking to her dolls. She keeps saying "I have a princess room!" :)