Sunday, June 10, 2012

A Pantsformation - or... How I Made a Skirt from a Pair of Pants





There is a lot to love about upcycling.  First there is the obvious recycling benefit, which is also nice when you are working with a budget.  Second is the creative aspect; it really is more exciting for me to figure out how to re-arrange my existing clothes than it is to buy a pattern and cut along the lines.  The third, and perhaps most compelling reason, is that it usually takes a lot less work.

There, I said it.  I love love love to sew.  But it is really really cool when I don't have to sew in a zipper or finish every little last edge.



After my last upcycle, my closet was down one skirt.  So... I rummaged through an old clothes bin to see what I could find that might want to be my newest skirt.  And then I saw it, a pair of stretch cotton-blend trousers that are way too big for me.


I started by taking my seam ripper to the inseam and completely taking out that seam on both legs.  Next, I matched the front seams to each other, and then the back seams together to make a skirt.  There was some extra fabric, particularly on the back side, so I pressed the edges down to make a straight line from the top of the skirt to the bottom.  I pinned these together and tried it on to determine the length.



  


 
I allowed an extra inch for seam allowance and cut off the bottoms of the legs. After trying it on again, I realized it was still way too big for me as a skirt, so I took it in on both sides. In case you were ever wondered, it turns out that a yellow crayon works great as a back-up fabric marker.


I sewed the back seam all the way down.  When sewing the front seam I left about 6" open at the bottom.  I pressed the edges down and sewed them both just as if I were hemming. Then I cut off any excess fabric on the insides.


I finished any unfinished edges at this point.  Then, I pressed the hem at the bottom and sewed that down.  The only other thing I did was remove the back pockets from the inside and stitch them closed.  They always bothered me because they wouldn't lay flat and they bunched up inside.

I love my new skirt!!






21 comments:

  1. You are sew talented. :)

    I am still awaiting your first upcycled menswear collection.

    I keep thinking each one is my new favorite. I guess technically they are as each one is technically new. :)

    The cost savings on fabric markers alone is staggering since there is an endless supply of crayola products in every cardinal direction.

    Next project, please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a huge fan of anything that involves recycling,thanks!
    www.blissfulsewing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm do happy you stopped by :)

      Delete
  3. LOVE!!!! This turned out soooo great! Thanks for linking up to DIY Diva Thursdays this week :)

    Kara
    www.mineforthemaking.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting me. I love DIY Diva!!

      Delete
  4. Love it!! And really love that sweater!!
    The way you described the reasons for loving upcycling describes me to a tee!

    I knew it. We're 'sposed to be bffs.
    :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! I love this refashion. I have a pair of pants that would make a great skirt. They just moved to the top of my project list :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. GREAT upcycle! Now I want to try this! How much bigger were those pants? I have a pair of black pants that are one size too big and I'm wondering if this idea would work? In any case, I pinned this =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Jaime :)
    The pants were two sizes too large for me. But, I still had to take in the sides quite a bit after it became a skirt. So, I think one size too big would work great. If you try it, let me know how it works out :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE this !!! I am definitely going to be doing this with a couple pairs of pants very soon... my sewing machine and I are fighting ... but I might just apologize. ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha. Yes, you should probably just say you're sorry so you can both move past this ;)

      Delete
  9. Thank you so much for entering the Green Crafts Showcase! This is such a cute project! The top 5 projects for this month will be up tomorrow so be sure to check back!:)

    -Bonnie @ Crafting a Green World
    www.craftingagreenworld.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so flattered to be in your top 5. Thank you so much for visiting my site! I love your blog :)

      Delete
  10. This is fantastic. I have wanted to do something similar with a pair of bermuda shorts. Trick is, these shorts are almost a size too small. But you have re-inspired me.

    I think I will try opening the side seams and adding a color-block "racing stripe" to give myself extra leg room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the color blocking idea. Let me know how that turns out. Thanks so much for stopping by :)

      Delete
  11. That is cute! That's also great to know about the yellow crayon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MaryBeth. I have actually added the crayon to my official 'sewing box' :)

      Delete

I love comments. Please feel free to post :)