Monday, July 30, 2012

Lovin' My New LoveSeat: Totally Rad ReUpholstery

reupholster couch loveseat

I love the 80's more than the average person.  I like the music, the movies, the clothes and even the hair.  But, this red couch in my living room was reminding me of my favorite decade a little too much.  The sad part is that it was actually purchased in this century.




Aside from the overly plush cushions that were permanently attached to the frame, the red color was looking quite black in some areas.  I guess 'normal' wear and tear for our family is more like surviving a food fight for other families.


We did cover it with a slip cover for awhile.  And that annoyed me just as much.  It never stayed in place and it did nothing to help the overly-plush factor.  The photo to the right is just embarrassing. 


This adventure started with a trip to a local discount upholstery fabric store.  When I told the sales-guy what I was planning to do and that I have no experience reupholstering couches, he gave me a very odd look.  He asked me a couple of times if I wanted to purchase any tools from him.  I assured him I would just figure it out as I went along.


DIY upholsteryI could not wait to tear into that red behemoth. Armed with a box cutter, I started by ripping off those gigantic cushions. That's when I discovered that there was a whole lot of cardboard inside the couch holding it's shape. Who knew?  Maybe someone who actually has experience?



re-uphoslter sofa loveseat
I used pliers to get the staples out.  I worked one section at a time, taking pictures along the way in case I forgot how to put it back together.  Whenever I could I put the new fabric on before deconstructing another part.  


I flattened this front part out by adding extra stuffing to the middle before attaching fabric.  I used a staple gun and stretched out the fabric by hand to attach it to the couch.


diy mandy made upholstery

how to upholsterI used parts of the original fabric as patterns when I needed to.  The piece in this picture is the front of the arm.  I had originally planned to sew sleeves for the arms.  But then I figured it would be easier to staple those pieces too.  And using staples allowed me to get a snugger fit.  So I stapled the front piece first.  Then I carefully stapled the rest of the arm fabric with the front side facing. 
I knew I didn't want those big poufy arms, but I also needed more than just cardboard on the arms.  So, I cut up an old fleece blanket to add just a little more padding to the arms.  For the most part I left quite a bit of extra fabric on the edges before stapling.  I did not do any edge finishing.

how to re-upholster mandy madesofa reupholster tutorial


couch upholstery tutorial

how to re-upholster mandy made
And I just kept stretching and stapling and tucking fabric.  My goal was to have no visible staples.


I was a little scared to put the back piece on, because I knew it would have to be very tight, very straight, and covering all the back staples.









This is the bolt that my fabric came on.  I cut a long strip of cardboard from the edge.




upholster furniture tutorial
I sandwiched this cardboard strip into a long strip of foam that I saved from the couch's deconstruction.  I stapled this along the top of the couch along with the fabric.  This gave me a nice clean edge along the top.


diy couch re-upholster


mandy made couch loveseat
I reused this scary looking contraption to create a straight edge along the sides of the back.  I just stretched out the fabric until it was just the right size to fit under the teeth, and then nailed it down as I went along.  I only stepped on it once!













Then I stapled the bottom down and reattached the feet. Oh, I painted the feet too.  I just bought a paint sample from the hardware store and that was more than enough.


Finally, I stitched up some cushions with my machine and I was all set.  I opted for square cushions in the back for a more modern look.  


It is very comfy and we saved a TON of money by doing it this way.  It took me two days to complete.  Not bad :)


diy sofa reupholster

how to upholster furniture mandy made


37 comments:

  1. This. Is. Awesome!! I am totally inspired to have a go at my sofas now! Yours looks like a new piece of furniture all together!!

    Sarah
    http://acatlikecuriosity.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! You should totally go for it. It feels like we have a whole new couch. Let me know how it goes :)

      Delete
  2. Amazing. I wouldn't have had the courage to try that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann. If I can do it anyone can!

      Delete
  3. Wow, you did a fantastic job on this, I can't even believe it! Thanks so much for sharing this at The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessi! You always leave such nice comments :)
      Thanks for hosting.

      Delete
  4. you did a wonderful job. I am working on a couch right now. I know what hard work this is. I have a link party, and I would love it if you would link this post. It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party. You can find it at

    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/08/natural-translucent-face-powder-update.html

    I hope to see you there. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debi!! I just joined your link party. I hope your couch goes OK. I would love to know how it turns out :)

      Delete
  5. Wow! You are courageous!! Looks like a ton of work but such a transformation! Here from Fun in Functional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa! I'm so glad you came by :)

      Delete
  6. Wow, what a huge project. Re-upholstery (beyond my dining room chairs) scares the crap out of me. Great work!
    Thanks so much for linking up. Please grab a button or link back and be sure to like us on facebook for contest updates and winners!
    https://www.facebook.com/OneProjectCloser

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I would ever be brave enough to attempt this, let alone have it turn out so great! And stepping on that scary contraption? Ouch, that is something I totally would have done. twice. after one kid fell over it and another took someones eye out with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I am kinda surprised I only stepped on that monster once! I'm the kind of girl that trips over her own feet ;)

      Delete
  8. WOW! You've done such a wonderful job transforming this loveseat. It looks fantastic and I love the fabric. I'm here from the Seven Alive link party & am your newest follower. Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Megan! I'm so happy to have you here :)

      Delete
  9. Oh my blog!!! I love your sofa DIY (puts mine to shame, for sure!) I'm so happy that I found your adorable blog on the Thursday Blog Hop and can't wait to read more amazingness from you....

    Hoping you stop by and follow us back :)
    http://longingforaprons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I'm flattered! I think your blog is adorable and I love your sense of humor. I think we will get along just fine :)

      Delete
  10. This looks amazing! Are you sure you've never done upholstery before?;)
    Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! I'm glad you came by :)

      Delete
  11. love the new look

    come see us at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this is great, and you did it in 2 days. That's inspiring. I'm always wary of such big projects and it intimidates me. Love the fabric!!!

    Agy of Green Issues.

    Ps thanks for popping by :-) Following your awesome blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can you please come and do mine? This looks fabulous! I've already got the fabric (it's been waiting for a while). :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! What a huge undertaking and you did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a transformation! I’d love for you to link up this (and any other ideas you’d like to share) at "One Creative Weekend" on OneCreativeMommy.com.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't wait to show this to my grandma! you did such a great job. when I get my own place I am gonna be full of DIY's!!

    Awesome blog I cant wait for more posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Participating in the GFC Blog Hop for the first time! I'm your newest follower. :)

    Kristina
    http://www.yomichaelmichael.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi! I'm your newest follower from the blog hop!

    The loveseat looks AWESOME! You did a GREAT job Mandy!

    xoxo ♥ Shar
    http://sharmartinez.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Mandy, it looks like a pretty full on project! but you have inspired me to get into gear and reupholster my ancient wingback!

    Have just started following your blog! Come by and say hi sometime =)
    http://www.musthavewear.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks so much for sharing this your couch redo last week with Wednesday's Adorned From Above. I know how hard you worked on this. The link party is open now for this week.
    Just follow this link.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/08/apple-cinnamon-roll-pull-aparts-and.html
    Debi Bolocofsky
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. You did a great job!! Thank you so much for linking up to Tasty Thursdays last week. Hope to see you again this week!!
    Nichi - The Mandatory Mooch

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my gosh Mandy, your sewing skills are so impressive!!! Thanks for stopping by earlier. I'm happy to know about your fun blog! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great job! You've given me hope that my coffee stained, ink mark covered, super old couch actually stands a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I’m so glad you linked this up at One Creative Weekend! I love it! I’d love for you to join the party again tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have been thinking of doing this to my sofa, but I am very afraid! I would like to make new slipcovers for the cushions, but I am a novice at sewing. Did you make the pillows or did you cover the existing seat cushions? My couch has two seat cushions and two back cushions I can unzip and wash. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is amazing! thank you! I've been talking to my hubby about reupholstering our "new" couches recently since the original fabric has not held up very well to 2 large pups :)
    Thanks again!

    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Please feel free to post :)