Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Old Tool Boxes for Updated Craft Organization


mandy made mandy chambers
Every so often I feel like I am being swallowed up by toys.  BB has been very artsy lately and my living room was beginning to feel like Hurricane Art had ripped right through it.

We have a small living space; so our living room is also our play room, craft room and sometimes usually our dining room.  I finally decided to face the art supply situation head first. Due to the drastic nature of the art supply situation, I feel I am doing you a favor by NOT posting any 'before' pictures.  But, trust me... it was BAD :(


mandy chambers

There are a lot of cute and stylish organization items on the market.  But, since this was going to be in my living room, I wanted something that would look a little bit more like furniture... something that wouldn't stick out too terribly.  After all, this IS an adult room just as much as it is a kid room.

We have a lot of vintage stuff around our house, so I was thinking about different types of antique containers that would work.  As I was running these ideas past my husband, he reminded me that toolboxes would fit the bill.

mandy made
antique tool boxes 
So I took BB to the local antique store and I was lucky enough to find two old toolboxes that were inexpensive.  Because of the price, they are a bit more 'rustic' looking than other old toolboxes.  But to me, that just adds to the charm :)




This toolbox is different than any old toolbox I have seen.  I actually overlooked it the first time I walked around the store because I didn't know what it was.  It is square, and has a lid with hinges.  When you open the lid there is a removable wooden tote that is perfect for BB to lift out and take to the table.  


mandy chambers

When you lift the tote out, the area underneath is large enough to hold paper supplies and some other items.  I put a plastic organizer inside to house her smaller crafting items.  I didn't want it to become a bottomless pit down there. 












The other toolbox looks more like what I was expecting to find.  It has four compartments and a handle which makes it equally easy for BB to carry around.  

storage vintage tool box


art supply storage
This is soooo much easier than the random buckets and cups of mix-matched markers and crayons that we had before.  BB can actually find what she wants! 


BB really enjoyed organizing her own craft supplies.  She carefully thought out where each different item should go.  And I didn't freak out too much enjoyed it when she had different ideas than I did about how to categorize things ;)


After we tackled the toolboxes, I was still left with a mountain of coloring books and stickers.  So I found an old basket that seemed to match the toolbox look.  And, when I say "found" what I really mean is... dumped all of the toys out of it and purged or relocated them.







And last, but very certainly not least, my living room looks just a little bit more like actual humans reside here... adult humans.  I am certainly no master of organization.  But, we are happy with the results :)




mandy made







Visit thecsiproject.com

17 comments:

  1. Our styles are so similar, so naturally I love these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks May. I'm so happy you came by :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Mandy! Thanks for visiting Miss Tweedle. I'm glad you liked my chalkboard. I so mad because I spotted one of these old tool boxes at a sale recently and didn't buy it! After looking at your pics, I should HAVE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by. These tool boxes pop up from time to time, so you will probably find one again :)
      There are so many things you could do with them.

      Delete
  3. I love this - it looks so artistic and wooden and just stylish!

    Visiting via the Practically Functional Hop :)

    Sarah
    http://acatlikecuriosity.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sarah! Thanks for visiting :)

      Delete
  4. I love it, that's such a smart idea for storing art supplies or whatever! Thanks so much for sharing this at The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessi! And thanks for hosting the party :)

      Delete
  5. These are fantastic.. what a clever way to reuse those old crates.. and have a useful storage box! Love it! Thanks so much for joining in the under 300 followers blog hop.. I am your newest follower~
    xoxo
    Amie @ Pinkapotamus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amie! And thanks for hosting the blog hop :)

      Delete
  6. I need to find a solution for all my stuff hanging around the living room! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Maria! It's great to have you come by. You have an awesome blog :)

      Delete
  7. Stopping by to thank you for joining is in the BLoglovin' Blog Hop! Great to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun idea!! I'd love to have you link this up to Tasty Thursdays on The Mandatory Mooch. It's a new weekly linky party with 3 days left. Hope to see you there. Thanks, Nichi
    http://mandatorymooch.blogspot.com/2012/07/tasty-thursdays-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wanted to let you know that you won the giveaway at the CSI Project! Email me so I can get you connected to Glam Grab.

    Thanks for linking up!
    dee@thecsiproject.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for linking up to Tasty Thursdays last week. Hope to see you again this week!!
    Nichi - The Mandatory Mooch

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it, even old tool boxes can be useful as long as it is cared and recycled perfectly..it will look then new and presentable..

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Please feel free to post :)