Friday, July 13, 2012

Swimsuit Refashion

Today I have a whole new respect for the swimsuit industry.  I'll admit that there have been more than a few times that I have bad-mouthed them; perhaps even used expletives. 

bathing suit upcycle
It just seemed like they could never get it right.  I mean, if the intimate apparel industry can get it right, why can't the swimwear folks get it?  We women are not all the same size and shape.  And, for goodness sake, can't a mom have a cute swimsuit that is actually flattering?  



I give you exhibit A:

This swimsuit looked adorable on the internet model.  And, it looked adorable when I opened it up. When I put it on... well... it was OK.  However, I felt the need to wear a well-fitting bikini top underneath it.

I wore it to the pool.  I was excited.  I got in the water.  I looked like I had a giant wet blanket draped over me.  I was unhappy.

I still really, really wanted to love this swimsuit.  So, I took it in on the sides.  It looked pretty good after that.  Unfortunately, it was NOT comfortable.

The culprit?  These cute little white straps beside the (shall we say) chest area.  They start on the sides and are supposed to tie behind the neck.  The problem?  It really hurts to have a wide slab of spandex supporting your chest when starts below your armpit, goes around your shoulder and ties in the back.

That's when I knew I would have to do something drastic.  I certainly did not want to waste this super cute bathing suit, but I was not willing to be in pain.  And finally it hit me... A BIKINI!!



 

Yes, I was nervous.  I have no serger or fancy sewing equipment.  And, let's face it, the last place you want to have a major wardrobe malfunction in at the neighborhood pool.  But at this point, what did I have to lose?

I felt like a mad scientist today.  I made it all up as I went along.  I wasn't sure what I was going to get exactly.  But I had a whole day to do it.


I started by by pinning the bikini top inside the suit to get a general idea of where to cut the top.  The first cut was the scariest.  Then I cut the back side of the top right down the middle.







 

For now, I took the bikini top out.  I carefully removed the ill-placed white straps.  I didn't want to lose the rushing effect on the front side, which meant I would need to sew before I cut.  With the suit turned inside out, I matched the top edge of the pink front to the top edge of the pink back and stitched the sides together BEFORE cutting off the straps. I did this to both sides and I saved the white straps for later.


I pinned some elastic just below the "shelf bra," as they like to call it. (Seriously, who makes these things?)  I cut a piece of elastic that was longer than I needed, and I used a short zig-zag stitch.  I stretched the elastic ever so slightly and stitched it into the front panel first.  Then, I pinned the elastic to the sides with a slight upward angle.


I trimmed the extra fabric off the sides below the elastic and finished off the edges.  Then I folded the elastic up and top-stitched it.  As you can see, there was quite a bit of seam allowance left over, which came in very handy.


I folded the extra seam allowance down and pinned the bikini top to that.  I wanted to avoid any extra visible seams.  I stitched it in where I could; the middle and a little bit on the sides.


I trimmed off the sides of the (striped) bikini top.  Making sure that I molded the bikini top into the shelf bra as much as possible, I pinned the very top of the bikini top (where the straps would be) to the top of the suit. 



Remember the old white straps?  I cut both in half, so that I would have four (shorter) straps.  Two of these became the shoulder straps and were pinned right where the striped bikini straps used to be.  I sandwiched then between the two suits.  I top stitched the straps into place, trying very carefully to sew directly over the existing seam.

The other two white straps were sewn to the back of the top.  I added them to both sides so that I could tie it closed in the back.  I apologize for the poor picture quality here.


Top is done.  Now on to the bottom.  The bottom was WAY easier. First I had to decide how high I wanted the bottoms to be.  I was trying to maintain a retro feel to the suit, so I decided to make them fit just below the belly button.  I added an extra inch to the height and cut away.  I added another extra inch to the front side so it would be higher than the back.





For the back of the bottoms I used the same elastic technique as above.  First I sewed the elastic to the top inside edge.  Then I folded it under and top-stitched it down.


The front of the bottom was slightly more tricky.  There was a ruching effect in front that I didn't want to lose.  And I didn't want the front to have a visible seam at the top.


To accomplish the ruching, the front had three layers; a lining, a base layer and and ruching layer.  I folded the lining and base layer to the inside of the suit and sewed them down. I did not sew the top layer down this way because I did not want the seam to show.


Here is what I did instead.  After sewing the bottom two layers down, I folded the seam open and sewed the ruching layer to the inside of the seam allowance.  This is the same technique I used the merge the two bikini tops together.


This is what the inside of the front looks like. 


The last step was to make a small seam on each side to make sure that the front doesn't unfold.













And there you have it!  A complete swimsuit overhaul.  I like to think that I saved this swimsuit.  Tonight I am in love with it.  Fingers crossed for no wardrobe malfunctions tomorrow...






Visit thecsiproject.com

45 comments:

  1. Very, very clever refashion!!! Your retro swimsuit looks great and looks like it was made as a bikini in the first place. I would love for you to share this at our ongoing link party that's just for swimwear...
    http://threadingmyway.blogspot.com/2012/06/threading-your-way-swimwear-link-party.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Pam! I really appreciate your feedback. I also just joined your link party. Thanks for letting me know about it :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome job! Could you take a pic of the back of bottoms? I need to make myself a pair and I think I will follow your instructions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I will try to put something up today.

      Delete
  3. Snazzy swimsuit! Your efforts paid off! Thanks for the details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather! I'm so happy you came by :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Dorcas! I'm so glad you came by :)

      Delete
  5. Having seen to original in action, I can't believe how amazing this reboot looks!!! Very clever with the 2 tie back....I think it give the option to create as much "support" as you like. This one has me green with envy :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Sarah :)
      Since you actually witnessed the wet blanket effect I was curious about what you would think about the "reboot."

      Delete
  6. With each progressive project, there are underlying components of each that surely highlight who you are as an individual, if only skimming the surface. As I read these posts, I appreciate them for their obvious intent. But I also appreciate knowing what must be behind the person who is inspired to do so. A talented person who is unselfish and willing to share her joy with others. The attention to detail can only come from someone who is driven enough to care. These projects are examples of creativity, vast imagination and inspiration. The inspiration is seemingly found in every crevice of your world; your daughter, your day job, your night job, your closet, your house, a children's movie and so on. You persevere through the challenges of each one relentlessly until the end goal has been accomplished.

    As you spend time appreciating other people's projects and accomplishments and as others spend time doing the same for yours, imagine all these characteristics found in each of them. It's easy if you try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So super cute! I love your comment about feeling like a mad scientist. I definitely know that feeling; sometimes I get an idea that I'm so excited about I just jump right in and make it up as I go! Thanks so much for linking up to The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting me Jessi! I'm so happy to join your link party :)

      Delete
    2. Just wanted to let you know I featured this today on my blog! Feel free to grab a Featured button if you'd like :-) http://practicallyfunctional.net/2012/07/features-from-the-fun-in-functional-7/

      Delete
  8. Hi Mandy,

    I've featured your swimsuit refashion today...
    http://threadingmyway.blogspot.com/2012/07/threading-your-way-features_14.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! Great work, looks beautiful now! It's the worst shopping for me to try to find bikini or swimming suit - just never fit well. Thank you for inspiration! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely adorable!!! Saw your link at Threading My Way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never enjoyed wearing swim suits...but this one does look cute and is a very smart idea! I love it!

    Helen
    Blue Eyed Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! You were brave to attempt this and it turned out adorably! What a great reminder to us all that we don't have to settle. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Betsy! I'm so glad you came by :)

      Delete
  13. Impressive! Great way to reuse what you have.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super cute! And so brave of you! Makes me wish I knew how to sew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! You have a great blog :)

      Delete
  15. Well done!! I love your version so much more than the original!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an awesome refashion! I love how you took something ill fitting and made it wearable. I always find myself refashioning clothes I bought off the internet. There never seem to fit right :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks so much for the kind words Christine. I'm so glad you came by my site :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome refashion!! Great job. It is absolutely adorable and I love the vintage look to it. Stopping by from Tip Junkie's linky party and a follower.

    Here is what I shared this week: http://craftybrooklynarmywife.blogspot.ca/2012/07/bow-pleated-purse.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Your purse looks awesome. Those are really difficult to make. You did a great job :)

      Delete
  19. Nice job! I had to do a swimsuit refashion this year too - even the ones from intimate apparel companies don't fit like their intimates do. Can they please get a clue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously. It's almost like they want to make us feel bad about ourselves. Sometimes I really wonder if they have women working there ;)

      Delete
  20. Featured you on the CSI Project FB page. Wow, this is amazing! Love the new look!Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great job! You'd think when you're spending that much money on something it will fit well and provide enough support! I can never find a swimsuit that fits correctly so I finally made my own swimsuit this year. While it still has some issues, it fits better and was way less expensive than store-bought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were really brave to make one from scratch! I love your shirted t-shirt makeover.

      Delete
  22. What a clever idea. Its very rare to find swimsuits that really suit you. It will take you a lot of fitting to find a suitable one. Thanks for sharing your idea. Its a useful one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I'm glad you came by :)

      Delete
  23. oh that cute! I love the refashion =)

    ReplyDelete
  24. such a love thing you've made! Want to share some pieces of advice about how to choose a proper swimsuit:
    swimwear to choose.
    By the way, I followed you up with GFC, it'd be great if you follow me back.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Having the straps that low would annoy me too! I always have to make the strap at the back of my bikinis shorter as they are always too long for my back!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Please feel free to post :)