Sunday, August 26, 2012

Covering an Old Ikea Chair

cover a chair diy
I was fortunate enough to inherit this old Ikea chair from a friend.  It was in great shape, but the cushions were a bit stained.  So, I took a trip to make favorite fabric store to liven it up a bit.

This was a quick and easy project.  I don't even know how long it took, because I did it all while I was waiting for the paint to dry on my dressertainment center.  This super-fast solution has had a huge impact on our living room.  Here's what I did:



ikea chair cover tutorial
First I used a seam ripper to carefully separate the pillow from the back cushion. Using the cushion as a pattern, I cut two rectangles of fabric.  They were one inch wider than the cushion, and about six inches longer.  I sewed the sides and bottom together with the right sides facing and a half inch seam allowance.













Before covering the cushion, I attached fusible velcro to the back.  The existing cushion was attached to the frame with velcro.  So I just measured the cushion to determine where to put the velcro.

I stuffed the cushion into the new cover and pinned the top where it needed to be closed. Then I pushed it down as far as I could so that I could sew the top closed with my machineThe top seam is covered by the pillow, so I left the extra few inches to hang loose at the top so that I could attach the pillow.


cover a chair DIY
I used the pillow as a pattern to make the pillow cover.  The pillow cover is a rectangle that folds around the pillow.  The edges were stitched together with the right sides facing.  The top was closed in the same way as the back cushion, leaving a few inches of extra fabric at the top. 



chair upgrade diy 
I attached the pillow to the back cushion by sewing together the extra flaps. These flaps are hidden by the pillow when it folds down.  I did sew the corners of the flaps in so they don't poke out.  This picture shows the pillow folded backwards.

upholster ikea chair

Last step was covering the footstool cushion.  Once again I used the existing cushion as my pattern.  I cut a rectangle that was long enough to go all the way around the cushion, with about six extra inches added on.  

I basically made an envelope pillow case.  There are plenty of good tutorials out there for making an envelope case.  Here is the under-side of the footstool cushion.  You can see the opening.  I just slipped the cushion in and turned it right side up.

Ta-daa!!  Instant room update in very little time.  If you can sew a straight line, you can do this :)


diy ikea chair upgrade

22 comments:

  1. This looks so awesome. You are fearless when it comes to re-upholstering!

    Sarah
    http://acatlikecuriosity.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I've been meaning to recover an old chair, great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel. I'm happy you stopped by :)

      Delete
  3. this looks great. Oh, I wish I could sew. Thanks for showing such good photos for us beginners. I found you on Motivating Monday Link party. Stop by and say Hi if you can. I'm a whooping 271!
    Leslie (aka Gwen Moss blog)

    ReplyDelete
  4. just discovered your blog and I love it! I'm your newest follower - hope you can check me out too! xo

    http://allthingsprettyandlittle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is revamp is beautiful! I love the colors that you chose too, it look fab next to your floor lamp. Visiting your blog via DIY Showoff, lovely to meet you! Rachael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Racheal. I'm so glad you came by :)

      Delete
  6. that is now the sassiest thing from ikea ever! i love it, it's so chic and modern and classy and funky, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :)
      I'm so glad you came by!

      Delete
  7. How cute, good job! Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those Ikea chairs are so comfortable. I'm planning to put one in the nursery. They are great because unlike rocking chairs they can't pinch little fingers!

    We'd love to have you participate in our new Eat Make Grow blog hop:

    http://foyupdate.blogspot.com/search?q=eat+make+grow&max-results=20&by-date=true

    We are always looking for bloggers with great content!

    Foy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the fabric. Thanks for the great tutorial. Thanks for sharing at OneCreativeMommy.com. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE the new covering!! Looks fantastic, thank for sharing with us at Link It Up Thursday.:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for a terrific tutorial as I have been meaning to do this as well! Linked to you from Tea Rose Home.

    Do you happen to know how much fabric you needed for everything?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patty. I used 3 yards of upholstery fabric, which is a little wider than garment fabric. It was the perfect amount.

      Delete
  12. Beautifully done. The fabric you selected is really modern and cool. I love that you took something factory made and put a custom, chic and original spin on it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the fabric you chose! I'll be featuring your chair at my party Thursday morning. Thanks so much for partying with me at Link It Up Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Terrific job. I love the print!! Thanks so much for linking up to Tasty Thursdays at The Mandatory Mooch. I hope you will link up again this week. The party will be live tonight!! www.mandatorymooch.blogspot.com

    Thanks, Nichi

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks so great! Job well done.

    -Sara, Road to the Heart

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome!! I'm buying the kid version of this chair for my son's room and I'll be sure to re-cover it now!!
    Thanks for the tutorial:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I found you at The CSI Project. Loved your floor pillows. My son has this chair and I've been wanting to cover the cushion. Thanks for the tutorial! I'm pinning! Have a great week.
    Leslie
    House on the Way
    houseontheway@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Please feel free to post :)