BB wanted a princess party. Which means princess attire is needed. Which means I get to make a fancy dress!! I realize most of my friends would not have been as excited about that, but I am hoping that some of you crafters out there know what I am talking about.
First thing first.. a trip to a local thrift shop! Aren't you excited already!! Well... I was :)
After a little bit of searching, we found this... I am fairly certain this was a bridesmaid dress. It had great bones. And I just knew it would be a fun refashion.
The first thing I did was remove the panel of shirring. Normally for kids clothes I love shirring because it is flexible and it allows then to wear it longer. But the dress had a zipper on the side and removing the shirring would keep it all centered.
After that, I sewed a gathering stitch just below the newly opened section. I stitched the two sides together and sewed a top-stitch directly across the gathering to help it lay flat.
Next came the hem. I debated in my mind for quite awhile about this one. I thought about making it a bubble skirt, or making pick-ups. In the end, I decided to cut and hem it. And... it worked out :)
BB had an old costume with a tu-tu skirt that was badly stained. I cut that off the costume and sewed it to the inner lining of the skirt. Then I took some leftover white tulle (from another project) and attempted to dye it purple. I wasn't crazy with the way the purple came out though.
Because this was originally a grown-up dress, there was a little bit more room in the chest area than she needed ;)
I pulled the ruching down to flatten that area out. I hand stitched that extra fabric flat using a beaded trim to hide the evidence.
For just a tad more flair, I attached some old ribbon to the front using fabric glue. I carefully dotted the glue to the bottom of the ribbon with a toothpick and held it down with pins as I went along.
The dress was still a little bit too low-cut for my taste, so I cut a small panel of fabric and hand stitched it inside the neckline. I used an old shirt that was donated to me.
The results are in and..... the judge approves!!