Wednesday, August 8, 2012

(not) Always a Bridesmaid (dress) - a Royal Refashion

How to make a princess dress
My little princess is about to turn FOUR!  Usually I get a little psycho around birthday time and plan out an elaborate party.  This year I decided to relax and let someone else do the work.... except (of course) for BB's dress.

upcycle princess dressBB wanted a princess party.  Which means princess attire is needed.  Which means I get to make a fancy dress!!  I realize most of my friends would not have been as excited about that, but I am hoping that some of you crafters out there know what I am talking about.

First thing first.. a trip to a local thrift shop!  Aren't you excited already!!  Well... I was :)





After a little bit of searching, we found this... I am fairly certain this was a bridesmaid dress.  It had great bones.  And I just knew it would be a fun refashion.















The first thing I did was remove the panel of shirring.  Normally for kids clothes I love shirring because it is flexible and it allows then to wear it longer.  But the dress had a zipper on the side and removing the shirring would keep it all centered.


After that, I sewed a gathering stitch just below the newly opened section. I stitched the two sides together and sewed a top-stitch directly across the gathering to help it lay flat.



Next came the hem.  I debated in my mind for quite awhile about this one.  I thought about making it a bubble skirt, or making pick-ups.  In the end, I decided to cut and hem it.  And... it worked out :)




Next up: POOFIES!!!  From the moment I met this bridesmaid dress, I knew that it should have peek-a-boo tulle at the bottom.  And, I envisioned different colors.

BB had an old costume with a tu-tu skirt that was badly stained.  I cut that off the costume and sewed it to the inner lining of the skirt.  Then I took some leftover white tulle (from another project) and attempted to dye it purple.  I wasn't crazy with the way the purple came out though.






Because this was originally a grown-up dress, there was a little bit more room in the chest area than she needed ;)
I pulled the ruching down to flatten that area out.  I hand stitched that extra fabric flat using a beaded trim to hide the evidence.







For just a tad more flair, I attached some old ribbon to the front using fabric glue.  I carefully dotted the glue to the bottom of the ribbon with a toothpick and held it down with pins as I went along.














The dress was still a little bit too low-cut for my taste, so I cut a small panel of fabric and hand stitched it inside the neckline.  I used an old shirt that was donated to me.



The results are in and..... the judge approves!!


refashion girls dress


















how to recycle a bridesmaid dress




party dress refashiondiy princess costume

37 comments:

  1. While many may not have memories dating back that far, I feel confident this princess will never forget the magic surrounding her 4th birthday and the incredible Mommy that made it happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. Thanks for being my biggest fan :)

      Delete
  2. She is adorable! Clearly she loves the dress you made for her. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh she is just too cute! She clearly loves that dress, and you did an amazing job! I love the little string of pearls accenting the front. Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandy, I know exactly what you mean re getting excited about making a princess dress. The dress looks AWESOME!!! Very clever to hide where you've taken in the top, with beads... works well. I bet your little princess will remember this for years to come...

    ReplyDelete
  5. My four year old niece had a princess--or more specifically-a Tangled party back in May and I volunteered to make her dress too. :) Only Gracie wanted Rapunzel's dress! Yours looks much, much simpler than mine, and sooo good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I bet the Rapunzel dress was fun to make.

      Delete
  6. Very pretty!

    Cheers ... visiting from Mandatory Mooch!

    Tito Eric of Panglao Island
    http://turningboholano.blogspot.com/2012/08/ginataang-puso-ng-saging.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Wow.........!!!Awesome....!!!
    www.blissfulsewing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so glad you came by :)

      Delete
  8. Seriously, this is amazing!!

    Hope you’re having a great Thursday, one day closer to Friday! Drop by nichollvincent.blogspot.com and say hello!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Nicholl! I'm so glad you came by. You have an great blog :)

      Delete
  9. Wow! You made that? It's beautiful. I'm so jealous.

    Btw, I'm your newest follower via the blog hop everyday blog hop. Feel free to swing by my blog and check it out.

    The Importance of Being Reese

    -Reese

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute dress! New follower through the Blog Hop Everyday.

    Southern Glamourista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I's so glad to have you :)

      Delete
  11. Love the dress and hope BB has a good time for her birthday! I'm a new follower from the Blog Hop til You Drop. I look forward to getting to know your blog better. I'd be delighted if you drop my sometime.

    Michelle
    www.bigfoottribe.blogdpot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Michelle! I'm so glad you're here :)

      Delete
  12. You did a great job. I am sure she will never forget it. I can remember when my Mama made me the Halloween clown costume that won the prize throughout the entire elementary school costume party. I was one proud little girl. Daughters remember that kind of thing. Sewing hands equal love in the heart!
    New follower from the Friday Blog Hop.

    http://lovejoyjunction.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww... That put such a huge smile on my face. My mom sewed a lot for me too, and those are some of my best memories :)

      Delete
  13. So, so cute! I was just thinking a few weeks ago that I wished I'd kept my "formals" from high school. All those ruffles and taffeta from the 80's would have made one killer dress up dress. :) I love what you did with this, the pearl trim is a darling touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy :)
      We sure did have fun clothes in the 80's!

      Delete
  14. It's very beautiful and it looks sooo adorable on her!

    I followed you and I just started a blog, it's dutch. But you could use translate of course. Following me would mean alot!
    http://likearolemodel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I can't believe how much you have grown your blog in such a short time :)

      Delete
  15. Adorable idea!! Thanks for linking up to Tasty Thursdays at The Mandatory Mooch. Hope you will link up again this week. The party will be live tonight. www.mandatorymooch.blogspot.com

    Thanks, Nichi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nichi! I always love joining your parties :)

      Delete
  16. Wow! Great job. You're such a good seamstress! Lucky little girl! Thanks for joining the party at One Creative Weekend! I hope to see you back tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So cute! I love how it turned out. My favorite part is the pearl addition. You are very creative. I actually up-cycled two dance costumes and a bridesmaids dress into princess costumes awhile back - but I didn't add pearls!!! Next time. :) If you want to see how they turned out, here is the link: http://jennisrandomramblings.blogspot.com/2012/05/upcycle-dance-costumes-into-princess.html
    Again, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, I love it!! What a great idea to refashion one. We are going to have a princess four year old birthday party in a few months. She decided on princess about a week after her third birthday party, so I've been planning. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie! I hope your party will be as fun as ours was :)
      I'm so glad you came by.

      Delete
  19. Wow, wow, wow. Such a neat idea for repurposing older clothing into something new and fresh. This little princess dress is just too cute!

    I thought I'd mention to you and your readers that there is a Creative Costume Contest over at http://www.halloweenhero.com/costume-contest-2013.html and the best part, there is a $250 Grand Prize. Plus, you can enter more than once as long as each entry is for a different costume.

    Thanks again for sharing this lovely idea.

    Best,
    Peter

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Please feel free to post :)