Monday, August 13, 2012

The Dressertainment Center


As soon as I finished the sofa, it was obvious that the whole living room needed an upgrade.  So I went on the lookout for an old dresser that I could convert into an entertainment center.  

Entertainment centers can be expensive, and I wanted to create something unique.  I got this idea to use an old dresser. I envisioned that the right dresser would have interesting lines and would also allow me to store things.

It didn't take long for me to find this old (oak?) dresser.  It was only $40! Here's what I did...



First I sanded the entire dresser and cleaned it up on the inside.  I removed the boards that were in between the rows of drawers because the were warped and dirty. It looked like this when I was done.





I was going for a distressed look. First, I painted two coats of white paint with primer in it and let it sit overnight.  The next day I used an old candle to rub wax onto some of the edges; the places that I wanted to show the most wear and tear.

Then I painted two layers of turquoise paint.  I let it sit overnight again.




After 24 hours I used sandpaper to distress.  I used two different grits; both were coarse. The places that had been waxed revealed the white paint after sanding.  Some of the edges I sanded all the way down to the wood.





I originally intended to paint the drawer pulls.  But I ended up liking the way they looked against the turquoise.  I left the top row of drawers out.




I used Mod Podge to adhere upholstery fabric to the back piece.  I only applied it to the top half.  











In order to keep the fabric straight, I used painters tape on the back of the board to hold it into place before applying the Mod Podge.



We measured the area that once held the top row of drawers.  We had a piece of plywood cut to that exact measurement.  I covered the top of that piece with the same fabric.  Again, I used Mod Podge and painter's tape.  

After sliding the plywood in from the back, I used a bit of liquid nails just under the front edge of the plywood to help it stick to the ledge.  This was probably not necessary because it was a very snug fit.  I reached underneath the front of the plywood to make sure the fabric was as taut as could be.



I also lined the insides of the drawers with matching fabric.

Before reattaching the back piece, my husband set the equipment up where we wanted and did all the wiring. He drilled three holes in the back using an attachment that is designed to cut out circles for doorknobs. These holes are covered by the drawers.


We attached the back panel with a staple gun.






My husband mounted the TV to the wall. We hid the cords with three pieces of corner molding painted the same color as the wall.



I used the drawers for toy storage.

I love how the dressertainment center serves so many functions.  It hides the cords.  It stores the toys. And, we love the look of it!!


48 comments:

  1. Wow, I love upcycling furniture projects and admire those who know how to do them. This is one no exception. Love how you've given it the distressed look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Can you email me the paint color!? thank you !!mmuse83705@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it. I wish I was creative like this! Oh the things I would do! Stopping by from the Like a Role Model blog hop.
    http://lovejoyjunction.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Came over from Whimsy. First, I congratulate you on doing the distressing work the old tried and true way - lots of work went into this piece and it shows. Beautiful and so practical!

    Distressed Donna Down home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna. It was definitely hard work... but worth it :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Wow, that's an awesome project! Furniture upcycle, toy organization, and tech organization all in one :-) Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. I'm so glad you came by :)

      Delete
  7. What a gorgeous piece - turned out so pretty!
    I would love if you came by to link up to my party happening now!
    Stacey of Embracing Change
    http://staceyembracingchange.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacey. And thanks for inviting me to your party :)

      Delete
  8. That came out so great! It is so pretty now! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm so glad you came by :)

      Delete
  9. Oh my gosh! I love it so much! And I have TWO dressers in almost the exact same style that I'm working on. (By "working on", I mean that they're sitting in my garage.) Thanks for the awesome info!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by! I hope you make something fun with them :)

      Delete
  10. It really is quite perfect! How beautiful! Thank you for sharing. Visiting from Fireflies and Jellybeans. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/08/make-it-pretty-monday-week-10.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this, it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great idea! I Love how it turned out. Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. How cool is that?!?

    I am blog hopping today and thought I would stop by your blog to say hello. Please stop by and follow either or both of my links:

    Blog: http://jessicaslilcorner.blogspot.com
    Twitter I'm at http://twitter.com/jesslilcorner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for hopping over!!

      Delete
  14. Found you on the GFC hop today. Love this! :) Your newest follower!


    talesoftheyoungertwin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm so glad you hopped over :)

      Delete
  15. Mandy, I love your entertainment center! I need a new one since puppy thinks it's funny to run under the one we have now and mess up wiring! I'm your newest follower! Come over to GlueGuns&Scraps and follow back!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've seen this a lot lately, but this one just might be my favorite! Awesome job! I may have to steal this as we update our living room. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So cute! I love the colors (and your blog colors by the way). I did a similar type of project recently changing an old thrown out dresser into a deep shelf to put in our living room, but I absolutely LOVE how this turned out.

    Following you from the Friday Blog Hop and would love a GFC follow back as well as for you to join in the Weekend Blog Walk blog hop at http://www.athometake2.com. We've got a great group of bloggers linking up every weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great entertainment center. love the color and pattern. I would love to have you come join my Get Social Sunday party. YOu can link up your homepage and promote your awesome blog! http://alivedinhome.blogspot.com/2012/08/get-social-sunday_18.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Returning the follow! Thanks!

    www.thenaptimereview.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is the bomb. I love the color. Lots of hard work, but hey that doesn't cost any $! You rock, I'm a new follower from the monday mingle :)
    I'm having issues with my tv above the fireplace and storing the cable box, etc., wish I could find some kind of pair of pieces I could do this to and place on the side of the fireplace. Hmm, wheels are turning.

    thanks!
    Kathy
    http://carysandcharlie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! I'm so glad you hopped over. I started following you, too. I will be happy to see where you wheels turn to ;)

      Delete
  21. This is awesome!! Stopping by from the mom mingle and so glad I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sara! I'm so glad you came by :)

      Delete
  22. Hey Mandy! I love your blog! You did a beautiful job on dressertainment. I am your newest follower from Mom's Monday Mingle. When you get a sec please check out my blog www.lilliesandsilk.com


    Thanks,

    Carissa

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is amazing! I wish I was half as crafty as you! Thanks for stopping by Joie de V for Mom’s Monday Mingle- I’m your newest follower! If you haven’t already, feel free to stop back by to enter this month’s giveaway for a chance to win a skincare kit by Sibu Beauty. Have a great week!

    Veralynn
    Joiedeveralynn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this! Right now we are using a small bookshelf to hold our PS3, DVD player, speaker system, cable box and internet box. Its fine for now but with a baby about to start crawling we really need it higher up with hidden cords. This sounds like a great solution!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! I hope this helps you come up with a great solution. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  25. Too cute...love it! Your newest follower from the MOnday Mingle.
    Anissa from Chasing Hailey
    http://chasinghailey.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are so talented. This is terrific :) Gonna check out more of your blog right now.

    I am one of the co-hosts on the GFC hop. I came by to say hi and to follow. If you have a moment and would like to, you can visit me here The Things We Find Inside

    Thanks,
    Tami

    ReplyDelete
  27. That looks awesome! I'm a new follower from the GFC hop and I'd love a follow back at http://www.two-in-diapers.blogspot.com when you get the chance! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wonderful job!! Thanks for linking up to Tasty Thursdays at The Mandatory Mooch. Hope you will link up again this week. The party will be live tonight. www.mandatorymooch.blogspot.com

    Thanks, Nichi

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is FANTASTIC! I've got a furniture painting project coming up and I hadn't really thought of distressing my piece...now I have a whole new direction to consider.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a great idea!! It came out wonderfully! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Totally Awesome! You just can't find anything like that anywhere. I applaud your talent. Stopping by from the Weekend Blog Hop. I am a new follower. Hope to see you at True Aim! True Aim!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I absolutely love this! I am currently doing one myself and was wondering about when you use mod podge on the fabric to plywood...how durable is that? Will the fabric come off eventually or is mod podge pretty durable?? Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Please feel free to post :)