Sunday, September 16, 2012

Extending the Life and Length of a "Favorite"

BB has two kinds of clothes: her "favorites" and the "crazies." These are her words not mine. Her favorites are very limited. So when I pick her up from school and a "favorite" dress is shorter than one of Cindy Brady's dresses, well, then I know I will have a problem.





Rather than leaving BB with one less "favorite" to wear, I decided to turn this favorite dress into a favorite skirt.

This was a very quick and painless refashion.  Here's what I did:





First I cut the dress in half, leaving enough fabric below the arms to make a waistband later.




Then I cut again, just below the arms. This fabric will become the waist band.




This "band" was too long for a waistband.  So, I measured her waist and sewed the ends up to make the waist band one inch or so shorter than her waist measurement (because knits are stretchy).


I made a gathering stitch along top of the skirt piece and gathered it evenly.  I pinned the waistband to the top with the right sides facing.

First I pinned the side seams to line up with the side seams of the skirt.






Then I pinned evenly around the whole waistband. I sewed the waist band to the skirt.

Next I folded the waist band in half toward the inside of the skirt. I top-stitched it down. Aaaaannnd... I did not photograph that step :(

Now we have an appropriate length skirt which is still in the "favorite" side of the closet... PHEW!






7 comments:

  1. What a GREAT idea! I am just getting into "re-fashioning" and this has me even more excited. Love the look on her face at having her favorite back :).

    I have my first linky party going on right now too, if you'd care to come link up! http://westernwarmth.blogspot.com/2012/09/weekend-warmth.html
    There are no rules involved :).

    Thanks!
    Bobi
    http://westernwarmth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shame on me! I haven't visited your blog in a bit and I miss you! I almost forgot how awesome you are! This is GREAT, I've done this very same thing to my own clothes, I feel so excited when I 1. Extend the life of a beloved item 2. Make something with things I already have and 3. Make it just as awesome, or sometimes even better than the original! What a cute lil lady, I might add too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cheery dress/skirt! It would have been my favourite if were a kid too =)

    I'm having my first giveaway to celebrate 5000 page views and I'll be giving away fabric bow hair clips. Pop by if you are interested

    http://angelheartscrafts.blogspot.sg/2012/09/first-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great project - I love doing this with clothes too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to see craft ideas from other bloggers, always so inspiring!
    www.blissfulsewing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a FANTASTIC IDEA. I know I can do this for my little girl who is showing favoritism in some of her outfits already. Thanks for the tip and I am following you now. I would love a follow back.
    Jillian
    http://puzzlemecomplete.blogspot.com/2012/09/listening-to-your-inner-voice-again.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love what you did to this!

    I found your blog via the connect over at SecondHand Couture! I am just getting around to checking out everyone listed! I joined the group awhile back!

    Helen
    Blue Eyed Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Please feel free to post :)