Saturday, September 8, 2012

Pink Pencil Skirt: A Fast Refashion

You can really never have too many skirts. Well.. at least I know that I can't have too many skirts.

This skirt was once a thrift store dress that was... let's just say...not quite my style. It probably enjoyed a life of clubbing at one point.

I picked it up at a thrift store because it was made from a thick stretchy knit. Even the check out girl gave me a sideways look when I brought it to the counter.

Sadly, the before pictures are nowhere to be found. So you'll just have to trust me on this one.

Anywhoo... refashioning this to a pencil skirt was quick and painless.  Here's what I did:


I don't actually own a pencil skirt (ummm.. except for this one). So I used a well-fitting straight skirt as a guide. Just pretend the skirt in this photo is not dirty. OK?

First I cut off the top of the dress. I lined up the gray skirt at the bottom of the dress so that I could use the existing hem.  I cut out the skirt along the sides and top.  That left me with a front and back piece.



I stitched up the sides and tried it on. Since my straight skirt had a slight flare I knew I would need to trim the edges. Trying it on, I pinned the sides right at bottom of my hip. Then I cut a straight line from that point.

I stitched up the sides again. No edge finishing is needed for knits. And with the hem already done... double bonus!

There was just enough fabric left over to make the waistband. I wanted a high waist that I could also fold over.

I measured my waist divided that number by two. I cut two rectangles to that width.  The height is twice as high as I wanted the waist to be.





I sewed the sides together and folded the waist band over with the sides seams inside. This picture shows the waist folded the wrong way. Not sure why I took a picture of that...

I pinned the waistband to the skirt. The skirt is right side out and the waist band is sewn to the outside of the skirt.

And that's it! the waistband added just enough extra length to bring the skirt to my knees, which was exactly what I was going for. So, yeah!


20 comments:

  1. Just found your blog via refashion co-op. I love your "new" skirt! Love katie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really love this! And you are right...a girl can never have too many skirts! I have tons and make more all the time!

    Helen
    Blue Eyed Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this skirt! Love that you refashioned it too. I love turning unwearables into something fabulous. It's so much fun. I have clicked over to many of your projects before from linky parties so I'm now your newest follower! Looking forward to more refashions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for linking up to Make it Monday! I've featured your tutorial on the Brassy Apple FB page! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. visiting from someday crafts, that skirt turned out super cute. I love the color! great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I popped over from Somewhat Simple, and I'm glad I did. This is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome, looks fabulous! Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The skirt looks great on you, and you've done a good job with the colours too - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so cute! I love the pink :) I pinned it too :)

    New follower from the Weekend Blog Hop too! Hope you can follow back as well :) Have an excellent day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mandy,
    I love skirts too. They're much quicker to change into than pants.
    Following you GF.
    Patricia from http://topiaryrose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the color! Newest GFC follower following from Home Take 2 blog hop!

    - Fotini { http://glamorousbride.blogspot.com }

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello from The TT Diaries your newest follower from the weekend blog walk. I love the pencil skirt it is really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's for refashions like this that I SO wish my stiching mama had taught me to sew. Love the skirt, love the outfit. Great color contrast. Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so cute!! You can never have to many pencil skirts, especially if they are knit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am such a sucker for refashions! I absolutely LOVE this one. I am so very glad that you linked up at our first linky party at Artsy Corner so that I could find your blog! I am officially a new follower/fan! So excited to see more of your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So clever! I love, love, love the color, and it's going to work perfectly for fall and doesn't look at all like it's club-hopping days!

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your skirt looks fantastic! Love the color! Keep up the great work :)
    Thanks for sharing at Artsy Corner!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Please feel free to post :)