I must warn you that I could not find all of my pictures. So I am going to do the best I can with what I have. ***deep breath*** And I am really OK with that (insert half-smile here).
Here's what I did:
The basic elements of this costume included:
one red tank top
one pair of blue leggings
one awesome pair of silver boots
3 sheets of yellow felt 8.5" by 11" and one sheet white sparkly
red, silver and gold glitter
red and yellow fabric paint spray
double sided fusible bonding
white fabric scraps
1/2" elastic (probably less than a yard)
mod podge and fabric glue (probably only one is necessary)
I started with the tank. I found an image of the Wonder Woman logo online. I cut the logo out on paper and glued it to the yellow felt with a glue stick. I knew the glue stick would hold the paper in place long enough for me to cut out the shape, and that I would also be able to peel it right off. Worked like a charm!
I used mod podge to add gold glitter to the logo. First a layer of mod podge, then a generous sprinkling of glitter. Allowed to dry, then topped with another layer of mod podge. Once that was dry I used a bit of fabric glue to attach it to the tank top.
Now on to the bottoms. They started out as blue leggings. I had BB try them on so that I could see how short they should be. I cut them off and hemmed the bottoms with a double needle.
I used scrap white fabric to make the stars. I ironed a 8.5x11" sheet of double-sided fusible bonding to the white scraps. Leaving the paper backing on, I free-handed the stars onto the paper. Then I just cut out the stars and ironed them onto the shorts.
I saved one star for the headpiece. Using the same mod podge technique as above, I covered it with red glitter. I did not use a pattern to cut the headpiece. I cut the basic shape out of yellow felt free-hand-style. Then I sewed a strip of elastic around the back of the headpiece and used a bit of fabric glue to attach the star.
I cut the belt out in the same way, just free-hand-style. It's pretty much the same shape. However, to make the belt a bit sturdier, I cut two pieces for the front and stitched them together. Sometimes cheap felt can not withstand a lot of pulling.
The back of the belt is a rectangle with elastic on the top and bottom. I sewed this to the front of the belt to make a big circle. It has just enough room that she can pull the belt up, and I didn't have to bother with any fasteners.
The cuffs are made from the white sparkly felt. They are just rectangles with small tabs of elastic sewed to the sides. I mod podged the silver glitter on with the tabs sewed to one side. After it dried I hand stitched the tabs to the other side.
Ahhh... the boots... possibly the coolest part :)
I don't know how I was lucky enough to stumble upon these awesome silver boots. They were so cool, I almost hated to glam them up.
I removed the buckles using a seam ripper. Then I used painters tape to tape off a stripe down the front, as well as across the top.
I sprayed them with red fabric spray paint and then covered them with glitter while the paint was still wet. I was careful because it was difficult the keep the tape down, and the paint wanted to seep under the tape. I pulled the tape off before the paint was fully dry and I was able to clean up some of the edges with a damp paper towel.
BB and I made the golden lasso using the same technique. We found this strange necklace-thing in her dress-up box. So, I am not certain what it was originally. But I would spray it yellow, and then BB would sprinkle golden glitter on top of the wet paint. She had a lot of fun doing this :)
And there you have it! I ordered one tan colored pair of tights and long sleeve leotard to go underneath. I figure I can dye those after Halloween and reuse them. By the way, you may not want to do a search for nude-colored girls leotard... just sayin'...
Peace y'all :)