Monday, October 22, 2012

Wonder Woman - The Tutorial

I have had so much positive feedback about the Wonder Woman costume. Thank you so much! As promised, here is the tutorial.

I must warn you that I could not find all of my pictures. So I am going to do the best I can with what I have. ***deep breath*** And I am really OK with that (insert half-smile here).









Here's what I did:

The basic elements of this costume included:

one red tank top
one pair of blue leggings
one awesome pair of silver boots
3 sheets of yellow felt 8.5" by 11" and one sheet white sparkly
red, silver and gold glitter
red and yellow fabric paint spray
double sided fusible bonding
white fabric scraps
painter's tape
1/2" elastic (probably less than a yard)
mod podge and fabric glue (probably only one is necessary)
glue stick

I started with the tank. I found an image of the Wonder Woman logo online. I cut the logo out on paper and glued it to the yellow felt with a glue stick. I knew the glue stick would hold the paper in place long enough for me to cut out the shape, and that I would also be able to peel it right off. Worked like a charm!

I used mod podge to add gold glitter to the logo. First a layer of mod podge, then a generous sprinkling of glitter. Allowed to dry, then topped with another layer of mod podge. Once that was dry I used a bit of fabric glue to attach it to the tank top.

Now on to the bottoms. They started out as blue leggings. I had BB try them on so that I could see how short they should be. I cut them off and hemmed the bottoms with a double needle.




I used scrap white fabric to make the stars. I ironed a 8.5x11" sheet of double-sided fusible bonding to the white scraps. Leaving the paper backing on, I free-handed the stars onto the paper. Then I just cut out the stars and ironed them onto the shorts. 

I saved one star for the headpiece. Using the same mod podge technique as above, I covered it with red glitter. I did not use a pattern to cut the headpiece. I cut the basic shape out of yellow felt free-hand-style. Then I sewed a strip of elastic around the back of the headpiece and used a bit of fabric glue to attach the star.


I cut the belt out in the same way, just free-hand-style. It's pretty much the same shape. However, to make the belt a bit sturdier, I cut two pieces for the front and stitched them together. Sometimes cheap felt can not withstand a lot of pulling.

The back of the belt is a rectangle with elastic on the top and bottom. I sewed this to the front of the belt to make a big circle. It has just enough room that she can pull the belt up, and I didn't have to bother with any fasteners.







The cuffs are made from the white sparkly felt. They are just rectangles with small tabs of elastic sewed to the sides. I mod podged the silver glitter on with the tabs sewed to one side. After it dried I hand stitched the tabs to the other side.


Ahhh... the boots... possibly the coolest part :)

I don't know how I was lucky enough to stumble upon these awesome silver boots. They were so cool, I almost hated to glam them up.

I removed the buckles using a seam ripper. Then I used painters tape to tape off a stripe down the front, as well as across the top.








I sprayed them with red fabric spray paint and then covered them with glitter while the paint was still wet. I was careful because it was difficult the keep the tape down, and the paint wanted to seep under the tape. I pulled the tape off before the paint was fully dry and I was able to clean up some of the edges with a damp paper towel.



BB and I made the golden lasso using the same technique. We found this strange necklace-thing in her dress-up box. So, I am not certain what it was originally. But I would spray it yellow, and then BB would sprinkle golden glitter on top of the wet paint. She had a lot of fun doing this :)










And there you have it! I ordered one tan colored pair of tights and long sleeve leotard to go underneath. I figure I can dye those after Halloween and reuse them. By the way, you may not want to do a search for nude-colored girls leotard... just sayin'...



Peace y'all :)

3 comments:

  1. I found some great Wonder Woman quotes online, taken from both the original DC comic book series and the TV show featuring Lynda Carter. They couldn't be more appropriate for what you have done for your daughter.

    “Go in peace my daughter. And remember that, in a world of ordinary mortals, you are a Wonder Woman.” -Queen Hippolyte

    “Please take my hand. I give it to you as a gesture of friendship and love, and of faith freely given. I give you my hand and welcome you into my dream.” -Wonder Woman #167

    “If it means interfering in an ensconced, outdated system, to help just one woman, man or child…I’m willing to accept the consequences.” -Wonder Woman #170

    ” A new journey to be started.
    A new promise to be fulfilled.
    A new page to be written.
    Go forth unto this waiting world with pen in hand, all you young scribes,
    the open book awaits.
    Be creative.
    Be adventurous.
    Be original.
    And above all else, be young.
    For youth is your greatest weapon, your greatest tool.
    Use it wisely.”

    –Wonder Woman # 62

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG that's the CUTEST thing I've ever seen xD xD nice job, what a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ps I just pinned this xD if you are on pinterest and/or Instagram, we should find each other :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Please feel free to post :)