Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Wool and Silk Winter Skirt

Do you ever obsess over your next sewing project?  Last week I was chomping at the bit to get to a fabric store. All week long I tried to squeeze in a fabric splurge, but I couldn't quite make it work.

I knew I wanted to make some winter clothes. And being the impatient girl that I am, I ended up at this very obscure discount fabric warehouse that is close to my work. I have only been there once before and last time I wasn't happy with the results of my trip. Out of desperation I gave it one more try. This time I am happy that I did :)

I found this wool for $5 a yard. It's not the most luxurious wool out there, but it has these great bits of color woven into it. I saw it and thought "skirt!" Sometimes fabric speaks to me (no, I don't hear voices or anything).

As I was meandering around the store looking for a suitable lining, I came across this silk drapery fabric for $3 a yard.  I loved the pattern and I thought the summery floral would make a nice contrast to the wintery wool. I began to imagine the silk lining peeking out below the wool.

This skirt is a half-circle skirt, which I think is a flattering shape on most people. A full-circle may look too bulky in wool.  
This skirt does require a zipper. I am not embarrassed to say that zippers are not my forte. However, I am slightly embarrassed to show the zipper here. It's not great, and neither is the extended-tab closure. So I will most likely cover that part with a sweater or belt when I am wearing the skirt. 

Like this:

Thanks for visiting :)


  1. Don't worry, no one will notice the zipper or closure, the cute lining cloth peeking from below will get all the attention!

  2. This is just beautiful!!!

    Blue Eyed Beauty Blog

  3. Such a cute skirt! Having that lining peeking out is such a good idea. And I love the boots you're wearing with it, too.

  4. It's really cute! I love the wool, what a sale score. The peek-a-boo lining is very fun.

  5. I love it! I have also been thinking about making a wool skirt, and the summery lining peeking out of this is just perfect. Thanks for sharing on Eat Make Grow!

  6. Wow, that's fabulous! I love the idea of a little silk peeking out of the bottom. :-)

    Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

    1. Just wanted to let you know I featured this on my blog today! You can check it out and grab a Featured button here: http://practicallyfunctional.net/2012/11/the-fun-in-functional-link-party-26/

  7. Cute skirt. Thanks so much for sharing on Tasty Thursdays!! The party is live again tonight. Thanks, Nichi

  8. This is adorable!! You did an amazing job!
    Thanks so much for linking up at Artsy Corner! Hope to see you again this week :)

  9. Where are the boots from ?? I want it all so cute!!!


I love comments. Please feel free to post :)