Friday, December 7, 2012

It's a Wrap Top... and a tutorial!

how to make a wrap top
About a year ago I was introduced to a friend of a friend. She had on this really, REALLY cool wrap top. I mean it was REALLY cool. I didn't want to seem all creeper-ish or anything... so I refrained from taking pictures or feeling the material, but I did ask her about it.

Turns out she was a dancer and she said that she was wearing a ballerina wrap top. I had never heard of them, but when I saw it I knew I could try to make one.




wrap top DIY


make your own ballerina wrap shirt

A little over a year later and I have finally gotten around to it. I looked at some ballet style wrap shirts online, and also found a tutorial here at Creative Spaces that was very similar to what I had in mind. I started with her tutorial and changed it up a bit.

The project was fairly simple and the shirt is a keeper! So here is my very unprofessional tutorial:


For this project I used a medium weight double knit fabric.  I purchased a yard and 3/4.  I probably would have bough less, but the 3/4 yard was in the scrap bin.  I think 1 and 1/2 would have been fine, and my shirt size is a small. I also used a well-fitting v-neck tee as a base for my pattern.  I ended up cutting this shirt up. So, if you have one that is stained or something that would be perfect.


Yes, I hate ironing :(

Fold shirt in half with the front sides facing. Lay fold along fold of fabric. Cut just outside of the edge of shirt - for seam allowance. I also extended the length of my shirt because I like long shirts. If I could go back in time I would have cut the arms out first to make it easier to cut around the arm-holes.

Now you will have this:







Okey Dokey. So far so good. Now for the front pieces.

Here is what I did to make the pattern pieces for the front. I placed a yard stick along the neck-line and cut straight down that path to the bottom of the shirt. Notice I cut the arms out and the side. I should have done that before step one.




Fold the fabric when cutting out the front pieces. That way you will have two pieces that are the same shape, and they will be mirror images of each other. Because I chose to make my shirt a tad longer, I lined the back piece next to the front piece and used a yardstick to mark the bottom edge. I cut as far as I could at the bottom. Starting at the bottom of the angled edge, I marked a line that was paralleled to the bottom edge. I also extend this as far as possible. This became the ties.





With the fabric folded, cut out two arm pieces. Leave room for seam allowance and edge finishing.



Sew the two front pieces to the back piece at the shoulders. Sew with the right sides together. Make sure that the angles are facing inwards (towards each other).



Pin the sleeves to the shoulders. Sew the sleeve in with the right side of the sleeve facing the right side of the shirt.


Now it looks like this. The sleeves are in at the shoulders, but they are open along the seam. The sides of the shirt are open.


Sew the sides together in this order. Match the underarm seams. Sew from the underarm to the bottom of the sleeve. Then sew from the underarm to the bottom of the shirt. Do this on both sides.


Now you will have this. Measure along the open edge of the front. Start at the bottom of one side, continue along the neckline and go all the way to the edge of the other side. Cut a strip of fabric that is this length, and four inches wide.




Fold the strip lengthwise and pin to the front edge. Make sure the right sides are facing so your seam will be on the inside. Sew this edge to your shirt.

Then cut strips that are the same width as your ties at the bottom. Sew these to the end of the ties to make the ties as long as you want.


Now you will have this:


Measure the ties. Cut strips that are the same length and width of your ties. I had to sew a couple of strips together to get them as long as my ties.


Sew the 'new' strips to your existing ties. Make sure to leave a small amount of space at the top of your strip open so that you can attach it to the front edge. Otherwise, sew along the top, bottom and the edge. The ties will now be long tubes. Turn these right side out.

After they are right side out, sew the top edge of the tie to the bottom of the front edge so that it looks like this.


I used a twin needle to finish off the seams at the bottom of the shirt and the sleeves. I think the twin needle helps knits to lay flat.



Here are some more pics of the finished product. These were all taken after a full day of work. So, the shirt definitely help up well while wearing :)


make a ballet wrap top


how to make a wrap top

make a ballerina wrap shirt

sew a wrap shirt



28 comments:

  1. I had one like this about 20 years ago and made it from a pattern. I loved it. I like that you made your own pattern. Very cool. Best Christmas Season to you. Linda
    http://twosucculentsisters.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks DIVINE!!!! LOVE it!!! I want one right now. I'm pregnant and it would be perfect! A must try! Love your blog too. I'm Hanna and I am your newest follower. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!! You can find me at

    http://bouffeebambini.blogspot.com/2012/12/diy-holiday-tassel-garland.html

    xoxoxo Hanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, this is amazing! First of all it's a great color. Second, it looks awesome and even looks doable! You are so creative!

    PS I just found your blog, and I love it. I'm excited to be your newest follower! Let's be blog friends?

    Brooke

    liningthecloudswithsilver.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome! :) I love it! Going to have to add this to my sewing to do list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are very creative! I can only dream of sewing like that, lol. The shirt turned out adorable! I'm going to feature this today...thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday: http://www.flourmewithlove.com/2012/12/mix-it-up-monday_9.html :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing! Now I know that in English it's a wrap top ( in French is "cache-coeur" that means literally "which hides the heart" . I'm saying hi from sew much ado linky and I'm now a new GFC follower ;)
    Bisous

    http://ellecrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mandy, I’m Anne from Life on the Funny Farm (http://annesfunnyfarm.blogspot.com), and I’m visiting from Fantabulous Friday.

    This top looks beautiful, you did a wonderful job. Above my skill level, so I'll just be content with admiring it!

    Anyway, thanks for posting this. If you’ve never visited yet, I hope you can pop by my blog sometime to say hi…

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so cool! I'd love to try to make this someday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so amazingly cool!!! I just love it!!! I'm definitely adding it to my to-craft list!!! Thanks for linking it up to our Weekend Wonders party!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very versatile top, Mandy. It looks fabulous on you!!! Thanks for sharing how you made it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I featured your Wrap Top today, Mandy...
      http://threadingmyway.blogspot.com/2012/12/threading-your-way-features_16.html

      Delete
  11. Beautiful! Great job! Way beyond my sewing skills but someday I hope to be able to make one :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this! I'm always wearing layers during the winter but this is much more stylish than a hoodie.;) Thanks for sharing the tutorial!

    btw, I found my way here from Pam's blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking very pretty with the top and that chain :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh, I love it! This looks so fabulous, I definitely have to try making one for myself. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wanted to let you know I featured this today on my blog! You can check it out and grab a Featured button here: The Fun In Functional link party

      Delete
  15. very cute! stopping in from the grow your blog blog hop! new follower!

    trish

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely top!!! I used to have one like it and I wish I still did!!! Visiting from the Blog Hop on This Gal Cooks!

    Shelley
    http://www.piggyinpolkadots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. So cute! I love it. Your newest GFC follower from This Gal Cooks Blog hop. Love your blog, too! :)

    Kathy @http://lifeonlakeshoredrive.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't believe you just made that up! Your shirt is beautiful, and I love the color. Thanks for visiting me and commenting at OneCreativeMommy. I would love it if you shared some of your great ideas at OneCreativeMommy.com. The party is open Fri-Wed each week. Hope to see you there! (I'm pinning this shirt in the hopes that some day I'll have the courage to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I found you through the "I Heart Pears" and I'm super glad that I did because this is too cute!! I'm gonna have to try this! I'm looking forward to learning more cool stuff like this!

    Be blessed :)
    Chelsea @ http://fromchrysalistobutterfly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. You make it looks so easy to make. Which is why I have added it to my list of "To Make Projects".

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this top--I was looking for ideas of how to make a faux-wrap, and this tutorial was a great jumping-off point! I linked back to you in my post here:

    http://bethbeingcrafty.blogspot.com/2013/04/crossover-wrap-top-tutorial.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can't for the life of me understand your description of how you attached the collar. Can you describe that a little better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Basically, the neckline is like a casing. You will need a strip of fabric that is 4" wide. To determine the length, measure the open side of the entire front (starting from the bottom of one side, going all the way around the neck, and back down the front.
      Fold the strip lengthwise. The folded width will be 2", and it will not resemble a casing. Pin the casing to the shirt with the right sides facing. Sew the casing to the edge of the shirt. Now fold the casing away from the shirt to create the neckline.
      I hope that helps!

      Delete
  23. Is it just me or is anyone else confused about the long tie part? Once ive made them as long as I need how do I make the tubes and then complete the step after that one,

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome...have to make it. Thanks so much for the easy to follow tutorial!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Please feel free to post :)