Saturday, January 12, 2013

BB Sews a Skirt!































I'm a proud mama today! BB made her very first sewing project today. She's been pretend sewing ever since she got a toy sewing machine last fall. It was a great way for me to show her some of the basics.

Then at Christmas I got an extra sewing machine. BB was so excited that I designated it was 'ours.' I promised her I would show her how to make a skirt for herself.

I found this adorable fabric while I was at the fabric store today and I just knew it was the one. When you know, you know :)  You know?



I showed her how to draft a circle skirt pattern, measuring dots with my ruler. Then I let her connect the dots and help cut it out. I cut the fabric.



I was so proud of her for remembering what I taught her. Here she is lowering the presser foot.












She carefully guided the elastic waist under the foot while I pressed the foot pedal.






Then I asked if she remembered how to make it go backwards. She did :)
Here she is holding down the lever.




She helped me cut the string. And there was no edge finishing needed.









BB was so excited she could not wait to show her friends and tell them she made it "all by herself." I think the skirt turned out to be almost as cute as she is ;)







Happy Sewing!

9 comments:

  1. That's really cool. Love the colors.

    ~Shanay~
    www.myuniquegirlz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very cool! My daughter started sewing on a machine when she was 5 and now that she's 12 she can sew anything she wants. Good job, mom, for starting her early when the interest is really there.

    I came over from Practically Functional. You have a great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a patient Mum you are!!! I love the photos of your daughter concentrating. She's bound to develop a love of sewing. A fabulous skirt, too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lovely, I'm your new follower from Linky Party.
    Love your awesome blog. Feel free to check out & follow my blog @ www.revampspunkyrena.com
    xoxo
    Rena

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very adorable!!! Would you link this up to our hop?? I think that our readers would really enjoy it as well!

    http://www.lilywhite-designs.com/2013/01/frugal-crafty-home-blog-hop-7.html

    xoxo, Jordan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh awesome!It's up to parents to teach sewing skills to the children. It's been replaced by computer classes in school nowadays :-(

    I've nominated you for the Liebster Award!

    http://greenissuessingapore.blogspot.sg/2013/01/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness--the skirt is ADORABLE! The pictures are beautiful as well. Thanks for linking up to Frugal Crafty Home!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Please feel free to post :)