Santa brought our little performer her very own guitar and mic this year. She has been playing and singing like nobody's business.
The only problem? The guitar didn't come with a guitar strap, so it was hard for her to play it standing up with her mic.
Last week I walked into a music store thinking I would just get one there. They ranged in price from $15 all the way to $40!! Immediately I knew I could just make one ;)
I had several materials just laying around that would have worked fine. I let BB make the final choice, and she picked this rainbow colored belt.
This project took literally about 10 minutes. Well, if you don't count the time that I spent looking for my supplies because I couldn't remember where I put them before my nap... sigh...
I used an old woven belt with metal hardware, and an old purse. This purse is vinyl and stained so I knew I would never use it again.
First I removed the stitches in the belt that held the hardware into place. I will refer to this part of the belt as the top.
The top of the belt already had a hole that was reinforced with vinyl. This hole was originally where the metal tongue of the belt buckle came through the belt (I didn't take a good before picture of that part). Anyway, that hole was already the perfect size to fit onto her guitar-strap pegs (or whatever they are called). I used this hole for the peg on the top of the guitar near the neck.
There were three pieces of hardware. I will refer to them as the small loops and the big loop. The big loop is actually the buckle. Notice the order the loops are on the strap from top down.
I took the bottom of the strap, folded it back up towards the top and then pulled them through the small loops a second time.
Then I folded the strap back down over the top small loop and through the other small loop a third time.
When pulled snug it looks like this.
I removed the tongue of the belt buckle with pliers.
The bottom of the strap now looks like this.
I cut a rectangular piece of vinyl that was the same width as the big loop. It's probably about 4 inches long.
I pulled the vinyl through the big loop and folded it in half. I trimmed it into this shape and stitched it together. I was a bit nervous about the stitching because I have never sewn vinyl before. It was actually really easy! I used a heavy-duty needle and it was not taxing on my machine at all.
I used a regular hole puncher (designed to be used with paper) to make a hole through the vinyl. I actually made about three overlapping holes so that it would be wide enough for the guitar peg.
Fits great :)
BB played the guitar with her new strap and I became bothered with the top of the strap. At first I didn't trim the top of the strap (above the hole) because I wasn't sure it would be necessary. But the extra flap was so bothering me. Look at the bottom of this picture for proof ;)
So I snipped the end and then used a zig-zag stitch back and forth a few times to keep it from fraying. Warning: this type of woven material frays fast!
Much neater :)
The belt ended up being a perfect choice because of the hardware. Other items I considered were straps from an old diaper bag, a tie and some decorative trim. I love looking around the house to find items. There are so many things that could work! Be creative :)
I hope everyone has a Rockin' New Year!!