Sunday, April 14, 2013

Easy Peasy Transformation: from Misses Skirt to Little Girls Dress



I love to recycle clothes. So much so that I am often the recipient of second-hand garb. Friends and coworkers give me so much. I like to think of myself as the pre-Goodwill.

Here is one skirt I received not too long ago. It's cute, but not quite my style. Of course BB immediately loved it because it has pink in it and it's all girly and flowy ;)

Warning: The following transformation is ridiculously simple. I whipped this baby out in about 15 minutes. This is a super-fun project that I highly recommend trying at home :)



Here's what I did:



In this dress the waistband becomes the neckline. The first thing I did was carefully cut just below the waistband on both sides of the skirt.

















I pretty much eyeballed this one. Then I had BB try it on. I ended up making the slits a little bit longer when she had it on. She was so brave ;)


I made two gathers at the front center to pull in the excess width. This created two outer-facing pleats.

I also made darts at the top of the straps (former waistband) to adjust for length and to keep the straps laying flat.


And I created a couple of darts in the back right at the edge of the straps. These helped to give the neckline and straps the right shape.



I finished off the raw edges where I had previously cut the skirt from the waistband. These edges are now under her arms. I did a simple zig-zag stitch before folding over and sewing the edges down.




I also sewed the pleats down in front. If you look closely you can see a square where I sewed the neckline down both vertically and horizontally. The horizontal seams help the pleats to lay flat.
























And now it's time for the shameless pics of my kid in her new dress:)






8 comments:

  1. That looks amazing!!! And that lovely smile... *heart melts*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant idea! No wonder people give you clothes, when you turn them into this!
    =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is brilliant! I love the dress, it's so cute!

    www.domesticblisssquared.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute and a great re-use of the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome..........Idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    www.blissfulsewing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow..................AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! loved THE IDEA.
    WWW.crochetdreamz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, so clever. And I love how simple! Little nips, darts, gathers... all easy to do, but so transformative. Tuck that all away in my noggin...

    And your little girl is so cute. Love the serendipitous Marilyn pose. (= Lynaea @ EveryDayBloom.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh--that is so smart! So glad you commented on my blog so I had the opportunity to look you up. Love your stuff!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Please feel free to post :)