Sunday, May 26, 2013

The J.Crew-ish Inspired Dress


I think I used a seam ripper more than a sewing machine for this dress. I almost gave up on it. And I am so glad that I didn't. I think I have a new favorite.























The inspiration for this dress came from this J.Crew dress that belongs to my daughter's friend. It was purchased at a truck sale several years ago.




I used this thrifted skirt to make the dress. I figured that the pleats would help give the dress bottom that bubble shape that I was going after. And BB really liked the imprinted flowers, so I knew I wanted to incorporate those somehow.




Here is the view from the back. I used some of the leftover ribbon and a cute pink button for the back closure. 



The bodice is double layered because the fabric was a bit on the thin side. 


I used the original lining of the skirt to line the inside of the "bubble." I put some elastic at the bottom of the bubble where I sewed the two layers together. So, it keeps it's shape pretty nicely when she plays (ie. it doesn't ride up). And I put some elastic at the waist as well.


I think we have a keeper!

10 comments:

  1. It definitely is a keeper! Love the "bubbled" bottom :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is super adorable!! Love everything about it!

    Heidi @ handmadefrenzy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is soooo cute! I love the bubble hem! I totally had that skirt too, except in red.

    www.domesticblisssquared.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very cute! Thanks for sharing at Marvelous Mondays

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an adorable outfit! Well done. My friend's daughter has the same skirt:) Will make sure to forward this post to her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an adorable dress and I'm featuring it today:

    http://www.flourmewithlove.com/2013/05/featuring-you_29.html

    Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cute! Love it! Coming over from Sew Much Ado. sherri(at)thedesigncell(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that j.crew dress and your interpretation is adorable! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely a keeper, Mandy! I love how you've used the flowers on the bodice of the dress... perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a good job! It looks cool and adorable at the same time. If I was still a little girl it would be one of my favorites for sure.

    Susanne

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Please feel free to post :)